1986 Mercury Marquis Grand 5.0

Im planning to pull the motor in my stang this winter but I have a lead on a 1986 MERCURY MARQUIS 5.0 engine with 40k miles. for real cheap!! The motor already has mass air, fuel injection. is this motor the same as what I have already?? "looks the same" what are the diff if any?? all I would need is the bolck and working my way up.

Thanks

It's only a 302 with E7's blackhorse's Avatar
    .Is it a H.O motor???????? if it is then they are the same motor. Will work just fine
    Team ME

For the most part both the HO and non-HO 5.0L physically are the same but yet very different. No Grand Marquis ever came with a HO 5.0 so unless it was swapped in stay away, well that's if you want your car to get out of its own way.....

The H2O pump spins the opposite way on an H.O vs. non if I recall correctly...
    Last edited by DirtyMax; 09-18-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    different firing order i think

dif injectors, dif upper and lower intakes(ported more i think), non ho isn't roller, HO is. Few things different between the two.
    88 Stang 5.Slow MAC Longtube headers, offroad H pipe, 650 Edelbrock carb, performer intake, bye bye fuel injection
    90 Mazda MX-6 Turbo SOLD I Sold My Baby
    86 Conquest TSI Turbo

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    h.o is only roller cam,cobra is roller rocker and roller cam. non has neither.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't one just swap cam, front accessories, intake, fuel injection, distributer to essentially make a non-HO into a defacto HO? I don't know that the heads are different, pretty sure the compression ratio would be down too...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fox_body
    Im planning to pull the motor in my stang this winter but I have a lead on a 1986 MERCURY MARQUIS 5.0 engine with 40k miles. for real cheap!! The motor already has mass air, fuel injection. is this motor the same as what I have already?? "looks the same" what are the diff if any?? all I would need is the bolck and working my way up.

Thanks
    could i get the body of the marquis when done or is it just the motor

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant
    Couldn't one just swap cam, front accessories, intake, fuel injection, distributer to essentially make a non-HO into a defacto HO? I don't know that the heads are different, pretty sure the compression ratio would be down too...
    The heads are slightly different, and the non roller engines are not set up for roller lifters. The lifter bores are much more shallow and the lifter valley is not drilled for the spider shaped plate that holds the lifters in place. Not sure about the compression, but HOs are only 9:1 anyway.

Also, since it is an '86 it is not mass air, but if the car you are putting it in is, then just use the mass air you already have. Does the intake manifold say "5.0 H.O." or not? Doe sit have serpentine front accessory drive or not? I know the older Crown Vics were available with an HO, so I don't see why the Grand Marquis wouldn't be.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    9.0:1 in those days were pretty high (tame now, of course). Many of the low-po engines (the gut of 150-170hp v8's) were mostly low 8's, even high 7's in those days.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!