Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me with my ET

I ran my car for the first time tonight at the drag strip. Its a 350 TPI engine I know I should of ran a better time so Im coming here for advice on what I need to do to improve it. I just gave it a tune up 3 weeks ago. I ran the car by just leaving it in Drive and didnt manual shift. Should I of manual shifted? I will post the results of my timeslip and let you guys diagnose it. Thanks!

RT- .408
    1/8th mile- 9.19
    1/4 mile 15.4
    MPH- 90.4

I was up against what looked like a mustang LX I got the jump on him and but I spun pretty bad He had a 1/8th mile time of 10.1 with a 1/4 mile time of 15.399 he caught up to me and past me once we got past the 1/8th.

nate,there are MANY things you can do to help it out,how much do you want to spend?
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

To tell you the truth, for a stock car thats not all that bad. The GTAs are on the heavier side for 3rd gens because of all the options so that holds you back some. Sounds like you need some suspension work or DRs if you were spinning, and maybe a TC lockup switch or something to get more out of the auto.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

what are your current mods anyway? its much easier to tell you what to change if we know what you already have.

Its stock I know either im not doing something right or something isnt quite right with the car because most people with these cars are in the 14s 15.4 is what a 305 tpi would run. I wasnt asking what mods i should do. I was really asking for advice on my launch technique cause I think thats really where I messed up.

*Edit* You guys should of saw the first run I did. Now that was embarassing
    I tried to shift it manually but had trouble getting it to shift. ran like a 19
    Last edited by subliminal1284; 08-30-2006 at 10:00 AM.

stay out of the waterbox with radial tires,small burnout only,too much heat makes them greasy.if the trans is shifting properly,leaving it in drive should be fine,and consistant as well. raise front tire air press to 40 for less rolling resistance.remove air filter if its a cheapo paper.

what was the 60ft
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

You know for some reason it didnt show my 60 ft 330 Ft or 1000 Ft on my slip, Im not sure why it didnt????

you must have ran in the right lane,i think the beams were not working,my one pass i made in that lane didnt really show much

cant you adjust the trans cable on the throttle of the 700r4 to make it shift different?
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

well either way, from what you describe you got plenty of wheelspin, you prob threw down a nice 2.0+ 60ft, which kills precious seconds. however your MPH was fairly accurate for a lower 15ish
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Iussu
    cant you adjust the trans cable on the throttle of the 700r4 to make it shift different?
    yes and no.
    its not really the right way to make the shift point change,as it alters pump pressure.the right way would be a shift governor kit,which is time consuming.

that being said,get some drag radials or slicks and hose the shit out of it,that will help your et for sure

Senior Member..now yer posting! MT98Z's Avatar
    that being said,get some drag radials or slicks and hose the shit out of it,that will help your et for sure[/QUOTE]

Werd

How many miles are on it?

A custom air intake is sure to help. I don't have time to find the links now, but thirdgen.org has plenty of info.

x2 for what juicedimpss said in his first post about the water box. Although I'd leave the air filter in.

I like this quote from the book Tune to Win, by Carroll Smith. The short version is small increments make the fastest car.

"The reason that Mario Andretti was two seconds faster than the second place qualifier-and four or five seconds faster than the tenth place qualifier-was not because of his engine, or his tires or basic chassis was that much faster. It wasn't because his driving skill was that superior-although, in this case, I must admit that driving skill was a larger than normal part of the picture - I'm a Mario admirer. The real difference was in the accumulation of a lot of tiny little increments of lap time-a tenth here and a hundredth there painfully gained through endless hours of testing and tuning. Once the car is basically sorted out that's all you are going to gain by tuning-tenths and hundredths. It's enough."
    Last edited by TransAm12sec; 08-31-2006 at 01:01 AM.
    Online Drag Racing -------Reaction Time Tester!
    Red 1982 Trans Am MSE Hooker 1 5/8, 3 inches back, 3:73s ---- Red 1990 Formula with ZZ4 motor, Hooker 2055s, American Thunder catback ---- Black 1991 GTA with 3 inch Flowmaster Catback system ---- Black 2002 WS6 Bone Stock

Suck Squish Bang Blow

its only got 105k on it

Post whore
    Seems about right time to me. But good advice from juiced. Stay out of the water box. If im not mistaken werent the 305's like high 15's low 16's?

Start modding the L98 and get the Nitto 555R's
    P.S that air intake system is for crap as you know!
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

The T3/T4eclipse broke 2much:P BigSnailBuick's Avatar
    Start Modding!!!
    "Plus my rats come in packs like Sammy and Dean Martin, and I got soo many keys you'd think I was Valet parking"
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T Limited- DBB 6766, ProEFI, E-85.
    2000 Audi S4- Nogaro Blue w/ matching interior! Chipped and a maintenance nightmare.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    Hmmmmm....

Shouldn't a 9.19 1/8th mile be around a 14.0 1/4???

Or did you copy the slip wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by sidewayzbimmer
    Seems about right time to me. But good advice from juiced. Stay out of the water box. If im not mistaken werent the 305's like high 15's low 16's?

Yes the 305s were.... This is not a 305 its a 350 TPI.

I wrote down the wrong 1/8th its 9.9

Oh and after talking with people who watched my run and me trying to self analyze what I messed up on im pretty sure its the launch my RT sucked and my 60 ft was worse than the other lanes which was a 2.5. Need some more practice
    Last edited by subliminal1284; 09-02-2006 at 03:38 AM.