Where is the best rubber on the track?

Using this photo as a reference: http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/gl.../2twisted1.jpg

I was wondering this when I was at a track last weekend, do you want to be on the "shiny" part or the dull, bare looking part in the center that appears to be where everyone else is (including this car)? Is that the groove? Seems like the shiny part might be still-sticky VHT? Help this drag racing amateur out!
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    Using this photo as a reference: http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/gl.../2twisted1.jpg

I was wondering this when I was at a track last weekend, do you want to be on the "shiny" part or the dull, bare looking part in the center that appears to be where everyone else is (including this car)? Is that the groove? Seems like the shiny part might be still-sticky VHT? Help this drag racing amateur out!
    the best way to figure out where the groove is.......
    next time you visit the track,take a walk up to the line,inbetween cars running. while you walk across the pad,you will find the groove as your shoes will stay there.then just aim for your shoes when you line up.

at the grove,the easiest way to get in the groove,when you pull into the water box,you will notice 2 big holes where the water really puddles.that is where you want to be,as you pull straight out of the holes you are lined up in the groove.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

You know, that's what my initial assumption was, but after spinning at the last track I tried moving to the "shiny" area and it hooked up better??

I was figuring with the groove being "below the surface level" (the big holes you referred to), it takes a little extra to bring the car up and out of the grove once it levels out, whereas the flat area stays flat all the way through.

Thanks for the advice I'll take a closer look next time I run down the strip.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Iussu pointed me into the "groove" at GLD and it really hooked! I could be wrong, but it looked like the most used spot. So if you are there with no one to guide you, you shoot for this spot.
    JHRacing.net

Those Who Say It Can't Be Done.... Shouldn't Fu(k With The Guy Who's Doing It!