Took 1st place Super Stock @ Syclone Nationals

I almost didn't even take my truck since the tranny wouldn't do a 3-4 WOT upshift (I run out of RPM in 3rd so I need 4th/overdrive to get thru the traps), and had some other little problems, but boy am I glad I did!!

Loaded up the truck bed Thursday and drove down to Kansas City (10 hrs @ 79 MPH) for the 2006 Syclone/Typhoon Nationals. Had a great time!! This is my 5th consecutive Nationals but the most fun I've had yet! The highlight was a Syclone owner from Sweden who spent about $10k shipping his 8.9 @ 155 mph Syclone (still AWD V6 single turbo GT45 88mm/108mm) over on a slow boat, just to race at this event and prove his truck is as fast in the US as it is in Sweden! He ran 9.06 @ 154 with a 1.38 60' and what an awesome machine. Very clean under the hood and inspected & street legal in Sweden (and the US!) He drove it (legally) back to the hotel on the highway after the races.

I ran in Super Stock which had the most competition (this is a pretty small event overall, about 110 people registered and about 40 trucks). I found that if I let off the gas at the top of 3rd briefly, it would go into 4th and I could get back on it 100% and make it through the traps. THe track was pretty slippery with all street tires and no slicks. (Private rental at Kansas City International Raceway). It was also relatively warm and humid out.

I made it to the finals but the guy I was lined up against was 2 tenths faster than me and a better racer (and a real gentleman, to boot). I had been having great (for me) reaction times all day, .600, .500, .300, .200, .300. Well I gave it my all and when the lights came down I noticed him drop back out of the corner of my eye!!! I held on tightly and did the 3-4 shift quickly as possible and as I gripped the steering wheel I looked out my passenger window to see him gaining ground and closing the gap!! His front bumper was up to my door and I looked up and the ET boards were close enough........ FOR THE WIN!!! Here's what the time looked like:

SUPER STOCK
    *Winner Josh S. Milwaukee WI Sy
    R/T .272
    60' 1.81
    1/8 7.74
    1/8 mph 90.37
    1/4 12.16
    1/4 mph 110.06

*2nd Place Troy C. B-ville OK Sy
    R/T .509
    60' 1.74
    1/8 7.58
    1/8 mph 90.96
    1/4 11.95
    1/4 mph 111.60

Man what a great race, and that's what racing is all about!! Down to the wire. My margin of victory at the finish line was 0.02!!

I won this cool trophy, mug, and $150 cash!

All in all I made 10 passes. I only managed to make one run in the 11s due to weather and operating condition of my truck. Most people left after the races but since it was a private rental, we had a lot of time left for time runs.

I decided to offer my girlfriend a chance to take my truck down the track because she has handled it well on the street in the past and never had a chance to run on a drag strip. She was really excited and I was really nervous. I explained how to find the Pre Stage and Stage lights, and how to shift at 4500 RPM in 3rd, let off until the tach drops, then hammer it through the lights. Well she came up to the tree with the turbo spooling and came screaming out of the hole!!! I listened to the exhaust and she even did the 3-4 shift right!

Can you beleive she ran a 12.39 @ 109 MPH with a .509 reaction??? I let her keep the timeslip.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Wow sounds like and awesome time! Congrats on the win and trophy.

Congrats........Thats a very cool mug.

And the Tophy is sweet too.

That's cool! I went to the Nationals years back with Dave and it was a blast. Congrats on taking 1st!
    2007 Lexus LS460
    2013 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    2011 Toyota Camry SE V6

Thanks guys. Chris - what city did you go to?

Senior Member..now yer posting! MT98Z's Avatar
    Nice job

Daily driving family sedan Bobby72GTO's Avatar

That trophy kicksa$s! Congrats on the win.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP A6 (Stock daily family sedan)
    2012 Honda Civic EX (Wife's stock daily)

Congrats Josh.......

Mike Bamford there with his Syclone?.....
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk
    87 GN Only fast on the Souf Side
    70 GS 455 Stock Appearing

Nice job Josh! Sounds like a good time!

WHO LAUGHS LAST THINKS SLOWEST GRAMPS SS's Avatar

congrats...really cool trophy...............

congrats,you have that truck flying
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

i want a typhoon so bad....
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

There's a stock one white with grey cladding in West Bend for sale asking 7500 with 185,000 on it. Actually looks pretty sharp in his photos. http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41244

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDNL
    Congrats Josh.......

Mike Bamford there with his Syclone?.....
    There were a handful of really fast trucks that were supposed to show up, a bunch of really big smack talkers, and only 1 of them actually made it There was supposed to be some low 9 second twin turbo small block chevy truck from Idaho that was completely absent, Bamford completely absent, a guy from Pennsylvania who promised all year long he'd show us all what's up - absent (he said it was too far to drive, hard to use that excuse this year with the Swede in attendance.) There were a few others but I'm sure you know how it goes...

PS: I found out Mike Bamford himself is actually a decent guy, it's his asshole brother who has the loud mouth. I think their truck runs 9.70's.
    Josh
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    There were a handful of really fast trucks that were supposed to show up, a bunch of really big smack talkers, and only 1 of them actually made it There was supposed to be some low 9 second twin turbo small block chevy truck from Idaho that was completely absent, Bamford completely absent, a guy from Pennsylvania who promised all year long he'd show us all what's up - absent (he said it was too far to drive, hard to use that excuse this year with the Swede in attendance.) There were a few others but I'm sure you know how it goes...

PS: I found out Mike Bamford himself is actually a decent guy, it's his asshole brother who has the loud mouth. I think their truck runs 9.70's.
    I've never met Mike but you are 100% correct about Dave. I've "heard" they've been much faster than 9.70's but who really knows, I've also heard they've been street racing it the last year or so, they might not want to go to a event and have times posted?.......

The guys from Rockford still playing with Syclones?.....
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk
    87 GN Only fast on the Souf Side
    70 GS 455 Stock Appearing

Yeah that shop is still open but nothing significant has come out of them since the mid 90's.. They cater more to the blank check, 5 (or 6) digit bill, don't care what the results are, crowd.
    Josh

wow very nice looking truck...too bad no money....
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

Rex Kramer - Thrill Seeker

Congratulations man!
    '73 Datsun 240GNZ (Buick Grand National engine)
    '98 Superhawk 996 V-Twin
    '02 S-10 Crew Cab
    Superhawk Chopper (Build in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    Thanks guys. Chris - what city did you go to?

Kansas City, we stayed at the Double Tree Inn. Good times!!
    2007 Lexus LS460
    2013 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    2011 Toyota Camry SE V6