Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can we make somethings manditory?

Can we make it manditory to have Where You Live and other Info manditory

I'm tired at looking at these noob's that don't have any information... I'm starting to get a bald spot from scratching my head

Wanna be apart of something? Fill in the boxes it doesn't hurt.
    'Merica, Hell Yeah!

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    I like this idea
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    I like this idea
    +2
    1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build

No sleep till Brooklyn Heat Seeker WS6's Avatar

I'd rather that my location not be public. I can be asked if somebody wants to know where I live.
    100-0 faster than your 0-60

We all know where you live John, it's at Culvers. LOL!!!
    'Merica, Hell Yeah!

Yeah good idea

I live there too, Got to get my mail today.....

Quote Originally Posted by Heat Seeker WS6
    I'd rather that my location not be public. I can be asked if somebody wants to know where I live.
    I don't think he's looking for an address... Just moreso the city. It'll help pinpoint the Chicago guys too!
    98 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ext Cab
    02 TLR

Annnd what's going to stop someone from lying?

Some newb could register with "Zion, IL" and live in West Allis.

Good idea, but probably wouldn't work too well.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

Quote Originally Posted by wikked
    Annnd what's going to stop someone from lying?

Some newb could register with "Zion, IL" and live in West Allis.

Good idea, but probably wouldn't work too well.
    Won't an IP trace confirm that though?

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot
    Won't an IP trace confirm that though?
    Not without being a total pain in someone's ass. The IP geolocation stuff is screwed and unreliable. Even my company located only in this area has an IP geolocation on the east coast, presumably based on our ISP. You can trace IP's back to their primary routers and attempt to figure out where they're at, but it's tough to do automatically, and it'd require our already busy admins to do more work just to police where someone says they're from... as if it even matters one bit.

This is really a lost cause.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    muhahahaha!!!

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    I like this idea
    +3

But like mentioned who knows if they will fill in the box correctly
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by animal
    Not without being a total pain in someone's ass. The IP geolocation stuff is screwed and unreliable. Even my company located only in this area has an IP geolocation on the east coast, presumably based on our ISP. You can trace IP's back to their primary routers and attempt to figure out where they're at, but it's tough to do automatically, and it'd require our already busy admins to do more work just to police where someone says they're from... as if it even matters one bit.

This is really a lost cause.
    Just to add... I'm mobile all day and I can find an unsecured network in any neighborhood in any town in southeastern Wisconsin and get a connection...

What do these things have to do with anything? You gonna go beat someone up for leaving you bad rep points??? Sheesh...

"I live in Wheelieville"

2008 Shelby GT500
    Classic Grabber Orange
    1 of 60 Built
    Cobra Jet Blower Upgrade
    Cobra Jet Throttle Body
    CCW Custom Wheels
    11.31@126 MPH on Toyo Proxes

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    how do you secure a network, i belive neighbors are currently going to town on our dsl, and i am retarted. how can i tell

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw88GT
    how do you secure a network, i belive neighbors are currently going to town on our dsl, and i am retarted. how can i tell
    If your wireless router ONLY has WEP encryption, there's really nothing you can do to stop someone who really wants in on your wireless network, it's only a matter of time before they can crack 128bit WEP.

For much better security, you want to get a router and wireless card that supports WPA security protocols, which is essentially WEP that changes a lot more often.. even then WPA is still possible to be cracked, though it'd take way way more than simply someone wanting free internet off you. I did have a friend that cracked a neighborhood WEP router, then re-broadcasted it as a wide open network for the neighborhood to use

The only completely secure network is the non existant one, followed by a closed wired one. For you, enable whatever security you can, and it will likely deter 90% of the people that would spend the time to steal your internet.

Login to the router via a web browser and change the settings. Enable encryption settings, do not broadcast your SSID and you can also limit the computers in the house by establishing what IP's are allowed to use the wireless connection.

Better watch it, because a LOT of routers are left unsecure. You can pull up in front of a house, login to the router and change the password!

Depending on what brand of router you have, you can login to by opening your browser and typing
    http://192.168.1.1 (typical for Linksys products)
    or
    http://192.168.0.1 (typical for Netgear products)

then you will be asked for the user and password.
    The defaults (if you have not changed them) are usually "admin" and "admin" or on Netgear "admin" and "password" (yes password is the password!)
    CHANGE THE USER AND PASSWORD!!!

Don't leave your network wide open like that...
    2008 Shelby GT500
    Classic Grabber Orange
    1 of 60 Built
    Cobra Jet Blower Upgrade
    Cobra Jet Throttle Body
    CCW Custom Wheels

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by animal
    The only completely secure network is the non existant one, followed by a closed wired one. For you, enable whatever security you can, and it will likely deter 90% of the people that would spend the time to steal your internet.
    Yup. It's better to at least try to keep out the "regulars". Obviously you can't keep out everyone...
    2008 Shelby GT500
    Classic Grabber Orange
    1 of 60 Built
    Cobra Jet Blower Upgrade
    Cobra Jet Throttle Body
    CCW Custom Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@GLD
    Just to add... I'm mobile all day and I can find an unsecured network in any neighborhood in any town in southeastern Wisconsin and get a connection...
    ... as we used to call it "war driving", and there's at LEAST 6 unsecured networks available on every street corner on the east side of milwaukee. Some of those included banks and businesses! Scary thought, hopefully they cleaned that up.

Oh yea, forgot! Don't allow remote management of your router. Make it so only a wired machine can change the settings... (Assuming you have a hard-wired machine in the home)
    2008 Shelby GT500
    Classic Grabber Orange
    1 of 60 Built
    Cobra Jet Blower Upgrade
    Cobra Jet Throttle Body
    CCW Custom Wheels