Thread: 2005 Vw Jetta

onefstcamaro

2005 Vw Jetta

Does anyone know if its easy to change the oil on a 2005 Jetta. The dealership wants dam near 90 bucks for an oil change, its ridiculous.

If so, please let me know and where the oil filter is located?

Any help would be appreciated

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    2005 or 2005.5? New body or old.

check the bargains and deal section for 1.00 oil changes!!!
    " EVERYBODY HAS A PLAN...UNTIL THEY GET HIT!!!!!!!"

Oil changes are nothing special aside from the plastic thing below the engine bay.

After that, all you need to do is figure out how to reset the oil change light on the dash. I reccomend that you join the VWVortex forum or buy a Bentley's repair manual.
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

BCM Cruiser
    From what ive heard Jetta Oil changes are kind of difficult. I used to work at a Oil change place and they would only let the manager do the changes on them. Best thing for you to do is get under there and look for your oil pan and go from there, but if your not sure dont do anything obviously.

If it's anything like my old 99.5 A4 1.8T it's a breeze. tooke me 20 mins total. The audi filter costed like 12 bucks i think, and then i used sythetic oil. so like 30 bucks or so doing it myself.

I didn't even jack it up, just took off that plastic protector thing and went from there.
    -2001 S4 stage 2 Imola

is it a TDI
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by onefstcamaro
    Does anyone know if its easy to change the oil on a 2005 Jetta. The dealership wants dam near 90 bucks for an oil change, its ridiculous.

If so, please let me know and where the oil filter is located?

Any help would be appreciated

ha.. as some people do not know. VW now has SPECIAL OIL for some of their cars. we had to send away 3 customers because of this. you can only get the oil from VW as well. and its expensive. also some of the filters they use can cost up to 40 bucks alone. yeah i know its crazy. some lincolns have 30 dollar filters on the LS's

Quote Originally Posted by RedGSX
    If it's anything like my old 99.5 A4 1.8T it's a breeze. tooke me 20 mins total. The audi filter costed like 12 bucks i think, and then i used sythetic oil. so like 30 bucks or so doing it myself.

I didn't even jack it up, just took off that plastic protector thing and went from there.
    $12 what! I picked up a Fram one for $3.

Quote Originally Posted by Berettaspeed
    ha.. as some people do not know. VW now has SPECIAL OIL for some of their cars. we had to send away 3 customers because of this. you can only get the oil from VW as well. and its expensive. also some of the filters they use can cost up to 40 bucks alone. yeah i know its crazy. some lincolns have 30 dollar filters on the LS's
    Don't some of them run 20W50? I think that is what my car requires.
    Last edited by Al; 08-05-2006 at 12:04 AM.
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

yeah I used the OEM filter because it's larger than the fram; was thinking more oil capacity. But who knows, I always use factory filters on all my vehicles. I figure if they wanted a fram on it I would have recieved it that way.

But everyone has their opinion, there are countless of arguments on what is what and which filter is better.

my 2 cents.
    -2001 S4 stage 2 Imola

Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil & Mobil 1 Oil Filter... That's what I'd use...

BTW I work at a VW Dealership... I see what they use...
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 01v6stangpwr
    Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil & Mobil 1 Oil Filter... That's what I'd use...

BTW I work at a VW Dealership... I see what they use...
    I use the same.

Which dealership?

My brother 04 TDI is leaking fvcking oil from the plastic engine cover... last person to touch it was HALL on bluemound.

It sitting at the dealership now. We're waiting to hear to say what's wrong and if it's just a loose oil pan bolt, it shows their incompetence

5000th Post whoopie!!
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)