Thread: Steering Wheel

Brew City Muscle Original!!! Stangman98's Avatar

Steering Wheel

I don't know where to post this.
    I assume that early '90s Camaro/Firebird/TA have airbags. Here is the issue. I get some guys coming in to get steering wheels. Most if not all companies do not make an install kit for cars with airbags factory installed. Are the late 80's steering shaft the same size? Can you use the install kit for an '87 on a '94 something like that?
    I know that with a Mustang I can use an '88 install kit on a '98 but I don't know if GM's are like that too
    In Progress
    604BBF/TH400/Radials

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    when you are getting a Grant steering wheel, if you just tell them what it's going on, they'll be able to help you. that's what i've done for my '99 Z. I'd assume they are all PRETTY close.

Brew City Muscle Original!!! Stangman98's Avatar
    When we did that with a '98 GT they said we don't have a kit for that because it's an airbag car so we called back and got one for an '88
    In Progress
    604BBF/TH400/Radials

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    i got ya... what car are you looking for one? i can get the information for you if it's an f-body

The column in the 3rd/4th gens are virtually the same over the years

On 90 and newer cars (have bags)The shaft length with the splines may have increased due to the fact that a clock spring is in place to allow the wire for the bag inflator to not rotate when the wheel is turned, that takes up about an inch of extra space now.

So that is most likley why the special hub and stuff is needed, but i think 90' through 02' would be interchangeable.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.