Thread: t-stat removal?

formerly known as Madison Dave Cleveland Dave's Avatar

t-stat removal?

my car is overheating and has had this problem for a while now...its just worse now.

my dad suspects the thermostat how do i remove it?

follow the big thick upper radiator hose to the block. theres usually a housing there, take it off, let the excess spill out, and there should be the thermostat. thats how it usually works?
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar
    Just drain the radiator (unscrew the knob on the back/bottom/pass side of the radiator) pull the hose off and unbolt the thermostat so you can pull the thermostat out. Put the new one in, making sure you don't pinch the black O ring. Fill it up with 1 jug of Dexicool, then 1 jug of water. Start the car with the cap off and watch the level for about 10 minutes filling until it's full. Not to hard. Are your fans comming on? Is it full? Do the hoses build pressure when the motor is warmed up?
    Last edited by USMARINE1108; 07-06-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar
    If you want to wait a few hours, I can take a pic of the install directions that came with the 160* thermostat I just put in and send it to you.

that would be cool thanks

Its going to piss ALOT, not even worth taking the drain out of the bottom of the rad, besides its plastic, tighter than hell and u could risk breaking it.

Just jack the car up, get a bucket under that general area, get a big ass channel locks and slide the clamp back, remove the hose and then take out those two 10 mm bolts, then the all hell will break loose with orange **** BWHAAHHAAH

PS dont loose the O ring, and make sure its correctly posistioned in the groove on the goose neck when reassembling... It likes to come out of it groove really easy.

The rad cap could be shot too... it will bleed off pressure (which is needed to keep heat in the coolant) and then it will all ow over flow of coolant into the catch tank which will appear as coolant constantly dissapearing... anda smell of coolant when the hood is open.
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 07-07-2006 at 03:24 PM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1
    [img]

PS dont loose the O ring, and make sure its correctly posistioned in the groove on the goose neck when reassembling... It likes to come out of it groove really easy.

The rad cap could be shot too... it will bleed off pressure (which is needed to keep heat in the coolant) and then it will all ow over flow of coolant into the catch tank which will appear as coolant constantly dissapearing... anda smell of coolant when the hood is open.
    Ha that could be my problem. I have this goddamned antifreeze smell under my hood and its driving me crazy!! Car doesnt over heat nor loose coolant, just that smell.

Where's a good place to pickup a new radiator cap?
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    Farm & Fleet? Autozone? Heiser? aha Just ask Mike to pick one up when he's in here for more studs, haha

Is that car even driveable?

yes it drives fine...i just wanted to fix the overheating problem before i drive it to milwaukee to dump it off at keiths shop.

Glad to hear it. Those pics made it seem like it was twisted pretty bad.

My brother just had a overheating problem...
    - replaced the t-stat, nothing.
    - replaced the radiator cap, ding ding ding

Try the cheap easy fix first.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic