Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grim_Reeper7.0

Diesels: Cummins, Duramax, Powerstroke and why?

One of the guys I work with is looking to buy a new diesel truck. Whats your oppinion and why? Really looking for reasons why..... From the research Ive done the Powerstroke makes the most power then duramax and cummins. Personally im voting for cummins.

Reasons being, they definitly have the best reputation of the 3, they are the conventional 6cyl INLINE diesel that has been tried and true in big rigs for a very long time and they offer the best factory warranty.

So you know I am not basing this on any other aspect of the vehicle other then the engine.

Let me know your thoughts.....

my vote is cummins. you can put massive amouts of power, boost, and heat and they'll take it all day long. only thing i dont like are the transmissions, which are fine for a stock motor, but they do make aftermarket trannys that will hold the torque.

Clinton
    70 challenger- JUST SITTING
    63 Dodge polara- 588 HEMI-1101 rwhp & 1090 rwtq. 8.07 @ 168
    99 Ram 4x4- slow DD
    The toys- 08 Polaris IQR 600RR and Polaris Predator 500 Cross Country

id rather be cummin than strokin' anyday

Grim_Reeper7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by lasttimearound
    id rather be cummin than strokin' anyday
    Though i appreciate the humor, im really looking for oppinions with supporting reasons.....

the cummins and duramax are generally a tie in most respects.... if the person just wants to drive the truck (not tune it or anything) then i'd go with the Duramax, due to the Allison. problem is, if he decides to use a programer to pull more torque, the Allison will fail, those trans are SUPER strong, but only rated for what the truck is putting out stock or close to it.
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member..now yer posting! Asteroids Champion Karts Champion penji04's Avatar

Just from talking to people Ive come to understand that Durimax is the most fuel efficent for daily driving. Durimax is made by Isuzu and Powerstroke is made by International. If he waits a little longer dodge and ford are coming out with new engines im sure gm isint far behind. Hope this helped in some way.

BCM Cruiser
    since ford and dodge don't use their own designed engine and gm does.next cummins will be emission controlled in 07.egr etc. so it will be expensive to fix buy one now before emission controlled and soon will be tested @ smog station is comming .just like cars where 68 and up are exmept.cut will be 07.
    92,94 caprice wagon,,66 impala conv,65 impala hpt.FOR SALE ,66 caddy,89,93 v8 s10,78,88 monte carlo,98 harley

I think this is a great rundown of the 06 diesel line up. The D-max kicks butt, hands down. Better fuel mileage, power, etc. The new Duramax is called an LBZ with the all new 6speed Allison. You will notice it on the lot as it has an Allison logo and the Duramax logo on the badge. The LBZ dynos at 300 rwhp all day long, stock off the showroom floor. It is a hotrod.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115662

A few positive notes about the Dmax...

H2 rims....cheap alternative to stock rims. A set of the non chrome ones can be had for around $200 and bolt right up...stock center caps fit too....chrome is $400 for all 4. Throw on a set of 285(33") 70 17's and the truck will look sweet! No lift needed. A very cheap and easy way to spice up your new rig.

Escalade...need I say more? The nav unit is a plug and play option. They can be install for about a grand...all touch screen nav....Kick a$$ upgrade for the DIY kinda fella. Looks 100% stock.

Power: Here is where I come in. With a built trans, some lift pumps and an 01-05 dmax....I can get 500rwhp for your driving pleasure! Can you say 1000ft/Lbs TQ? What do you need that for?
    THIS:

05 Duramax Diesel

WWW.TURBODMAX.COM

11.8@118+

haha, sorry as for my most of the generators we use are cummins and the trucks have cummins and they almost never break down. they are easy to work on and seem to respond well to any mods. our powerstroke is usually broke down and being towed by one of the rams

Grim_Reeper7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo
    The LBZ dynos at 300 rwhp all day long, stock off the showroom floor. It is a hotrod.

Other then the fact that it dynos at 300hp stock, what else makes it worth it? You make claims of 500/1000.......that can be done with any new powerstroke and Cummins just as easily so that isnt that impressive. I still am not sold on the V8 Diesels, its to much rotating mass. Inline 6's are the way to go in my oppinion, like i said previously, they have been running them forever in big rigs and still have less issues then other diesels.

Right now he is between Duramax and Cummins, im trying to push him to the cummins side but i still would like to know some real reasons why you feel the duramax is better. Hp and Tq # mean nothing at this point as they are ALL very close and can all be upgraded very cheap compared to a conventional gas engine.

Keep the info coming!

Just some guy...
    The Duramax will get better fuel mileage than both of the Cummins and Powerstroke. Basic maintenance is EXTREMELY easy. The fuel filter can be changed in 5 minutes. The Duramax makes MORE torque down low than the Cummins. It is also paired with the best automatic transmission of the three.

500rwhp/1000rwtq is NOT as easily made with the new Cummins and Powerstroke.

A few years back, the 5.9L Cummins had a clear advantage... now... the V8 diesels have caught up and passed it IMO.

Grim_Reeper7.0
    Thanks for the oppinion! Anything helps, he wants all the pros and cons. So you think the V8 Diesels are supperior as far as durability and reliability? If so...considering the numbers cummins makes with a 6cyl.....imagine if they decided to build a 8cyl! Uh oh ford and chevy!!!! And as far as the allison tranny goes, im not sold on it anymore, ive been hearing alot about failure on them with any power increases from stock. I think Allison should either beef it up or pull out before then end up with a bad rep...

Just some guy...
    All of the big 3 will have trans failures with 80-100hp over stock. But in true stock form, the allison is the best.

The current 5.9L Cummins has the same injector, pump, electronic, etc. problems the V8 diesels have.

As of January 1st, 2007 the 5.9L Cummins is no more. It is a 6.7L Cummins. It will have all of the new EPA crap on it, but I am interested to see its power ratings in the 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups.

Grim_Reeper7.0
    that I am aware of.........should be quite a beast.....

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    you know, for someone "in the industry" of the automotive performance world, you sure do know jack **** about vehicles. EVERYONE else I know that is in the industry, knows a TON of everything, because their job depends on them knowing. It is a requirement because they service so many different areas of the aftermarket world.

And stop trying to start some ****. I tried to be cool and just asking to see the car for my own personal amusement cause I can appreciate someone's hard work on a vehicle. And you sent some bullshit photograph that you sent 20 other people before you sent it to me, in which you said, "i'm the only one to see this".

Refer back to this thread:

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/...385#post149385

Grim,

You obviously are the last person your buddy should be asking info on as far as diesel's are concerned.

You can't make 500 rwhp on any diesel other than a Duramax on stock injectors and turbo. You can hardly make 500 rwhp on a Powerjoke with aftermarket injectors and turbo.

The Cummins is a great motor, no doubt about it. The problem is, it is in a Dodge. The new CR (Common Rail( I'd explain it to you. However, you don't want to hear about it because you have your mind made up already that the Cumapart is better)) is not as easy to make big power on as the old 12 and 24 valves.

Allison's don't fail...they protect themselves from failing by entering a limp mode, but what do I know?

I tuned an 04.5 Dmax in Idaho that has twins and stock injectors. It dyno's 600rwhp and runs 12.28 at 110 in the 1/4. Try that with a Ford or a Cummins on a similar budget. It would NEVER happen. As a matter of fact, a CR Dodge or a Powerstroke can't compete with my truck on the same budget..pulling or drag racing. I'll bet my truck on it!
    05 Duramax Diesel

WWW.TURBODMAX.COM

11.8@118+

to be cummin you gota be stroken, to be stroken you gota be as hard as a rock.

I personally dont like any new junk that has an aluminum head on a diesel. my dad has a 02 duramax with basic bolts ons attutude, C/A intake, 4in turbo back high flow exhaust. the trans cant handle it. injectors went 2 times and fuel PSI regulator(under manifold)also went once. my uncle has a 6.0 ford with a cheap hypertech programmer and a cheap 4in exhaust... eats up the duramax. now both ford and chevy as of 06 have the intervein turbo or what ever its called so there is little turbo lag they build about 3lbs of boost at idle with that. chevy has the GAY IFS IMO a 3/4ton and a 1 ton truck shouldnt have anything other then a solid axle such as the ford and dodge both with a twin I-beam coil over setup. My friends mom works for delphi as a mechanical engineer in the catalyst dept. all diesels as of 08 i believe maybe even 07 even will have that POS cat with the "sut burner" that burns the **** air off before it sends it out the exhaust. as will all semis and such. I want a diesel but my budget is to tight right now with race season. I will probly buy a 01 or 02 24v cummins 6 speed. or a nice 94-98.5 12v 5speed low mileage and no 5th wheel hitch. i found a nice 95 with a converted MOD 24v and 6 speed and the whole interior was updated to a 02 also. but no money..... I want a DIESEL that sounds like it has a set.. so my choice is a 98.5-02 24v cummins. its all opionated so i guess its hard to get what your looking for with your question.
    Last edited by SmokinRAM114; 06-20-2006 at 08:19 PM.
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package

Quote Originally Posted by BlueZ114
    to be cummin you gota be stroken, to be stroken you gota be as hard as a rock.

I personally dont like any new junk that has an aluminum head on a diesel. my dad has a 02 duramax with basic bolts ons attutude, C/A intake, 4in turbo back high flow exhaust. the trans cant handle it. injectors went 2 times and fuel PSI regulator(under manifold)also went once. my uncle has a 6.0 ford with a cheap hypertech programmer and a cheap 4in exhaust... eats up the duramax. now both ford and chevy as of 06 have the intervein turbo or what ever its called so there is little turbo lag they build about 3lbs of boost at idle with that. chevy has the GAY IFS IMO a 3/4ton and a 1 ton truck shouldnt have anything other then a solid axle such as the ford and dodge both with a twin I-beam coil over setup. My friends mom works for delphi as a mechanical engineer in the catalyst dept. all diesels as of 08 i believe maybe even 07 even will have that POS cat with the "sut burner" that burns the **** air off before it sends it out the exhaust. as will all semis and such. I want a diesel but my budget is to tight right now with race season. I will probly buy a 01 or 02 24v cummins 6 speed. or a nice 94-98.5 12v 5speed low mileage and no 5th wheel hitch. i found a nice 95 with a converted MOD 24v and 6 speed and the whole interior was updated to a 02 also. but no money..... I want a DIESEL that sounds like it has a set.. so my choice is a 98.5-02 24v cummins. its all opionated so i guess its hard to get what your looking for with your question.
    Whenever you get it built, let me know. I'm all about DIESEL performance. I don't care if it is a VW or a Powerstroke. If it don't have spark plugs...I like it! If you ever need any help, PM me. I'm always available.
    05 Duramax Diesel

WWW.TURBODMAX.COM

11.8@118+

Grim_Reeper7.0
    Bobo, i have never claime by anymeans to be a "diesel expert" But i know what ive seen and I know what ive seen people have more problems with.

CrawlinZ, as far as people in your industry knowing there ****..... I honestly find that very very hard to believe, ive never been to a dealer that had people working there that knew there ass from a hole in the ground. Mabey your that one exception but i really doubt if I walked in the door and asked some random salesperson on your floor what the displacement of a new z06 vette was, they could tell me off the top of there head. 99.9% of salespeople dont know ****..........

Quote Originally Posted by Grim_Reeper7.0
    CrawlinZ, as far as people in your industry knowing there ****..... I honestly find that very very hard to believe, ive never been to a dealer that had people working there that knew there ass from a hole in the ground. Mabey your that one exception but i really doubt if I walked in the door and asked some random salesperson on your floor what the displacement of a new z06 vette was, they could tell me off the top of there head. 99.9% of salespeople dont know ****..........
    Maybe you could come in and do a training session...
    'How to talk out your ass in 1 easy lesson'
    Remember...its not a lie if YOU believe it.
    Tell 'em Billy sent ya!