Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evo VS STI

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Oh I could handle the wagon just fine. I almost had the fastest grocery wagon the other day but an old man in a Jetta wagon cut me off and beat me to a spot at Pick N Save. Thats when I decided it was time to move on
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Quote Originally Posted by fireguyrick
    oh yeah, what is the fastest recorded 1/4 mile time for a STOCK EVO VIII (not getting into the EVO IX as they are different beasts, and I will wait to see what subaru has in response to it).

The fastest record STOCK (bone stock straight from the dealership) time for an STi was 12.9
    why dont you want to include the EVO ix??? Its an '06 and subie has their '06!?!? i have seen bone stock ones go 12.9 but that wasnt a professional driver so i am not quite sure. also it really really depends on the driver and a lot of other aspects....

In my opinon i like my EVO because i am at full spool (21psi) at 3000rpms. This is what usually gives me the jump on all other cars when it comes to a drop race. Also when i am running it around in some turns it nice to have the turbo "always on" it almost seems as if there is no lag i also like the aftermarket a lot more than the STi's. Many more parts readly availabe. But i do see what your are saying... i dont want to get into a big aruguement about it!!!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

wow lots of input i guess evos are awsome cars.

slols1, you are right about having more parts readily available for the Evo. Again, has alot to do with the length of time that each engine has been available in the US and/or world.

I TOTALLY agree with you that alot depends on the driver of each car, even with 1/4 mile times. I have seen STi's stock run as fast as 13.0 and as slow as 15.7 (in person). Though, I see more Evo's at the drag strip then I do at AutoX's.

My reasoning for not considering the IX in this comparo is because the IX is almost like a new vehicle. I would not compare a rival for the 02-05 WRX with that of the new 06 WRX due to all the changes.

That being said, they are still very close vehicles, and when something flat out owning another is in tenths of seconds from a proffesional driver, it says alot about how close the cars really are.

Rick

21psi by 3000rpm? I wish I had that response on my STi. I get 22-23 psi by 4000-4500rpm depending on which gear I am in. I should let you beat on my STi sometime, maybe you can brake my tranny so I can get that dogbox setup I really want, but have no reason for.....yet.

slols1, you are right about having more parts readily available for the Evo. Again, has alot to do with the length of time that each engine has been available in the US and/or world.

I TOTALLY agree with you that alot depends on the driver of each car, even with 1/4 mile times. I have seen STi's stock run as fast as 13.0 and as slow as 15.7 (in person). Though, I see more Evo's at the drag strip then I do at AutoX's.

My reasoning for not considering the IX in this comparo is because the IX is almost like a new vehicle. I would not compare a rival for the 02-05 WRX with that of the new 06 WRX due to all the changes.

That being said, they are still very close vehicles, and when something flat out owning another is in tenths of seconds from a proffesional driver, it says alot about how close the cars really are.

Rick

21psi by 3000rpm? I wish I had that response on my STi. I get 22-23 psi by 4000-4500rpm depending on which gear I am in. I should let you beat on my STi sometime, maybe you can brake my tranny so I can get that dogbox setup I really want, but have no reason for.....yet.

ahhaaha the last thing you wrote is funny as hell !!!! but i definatly agree with you... will you be making any appearances at the BCM cruises?!?! at oscar's?? i would definatly like to check your car out... seems like you have a decent amount of work done to it ! I personally havent seen 1 decently modded STI... normally i just see them with a intake and catback exhaust ... oh well
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

Quote Originally Posted by sloLs1
    will you be making any appearances at the BCM cruises?!?! at oscar's?? i would definatly like to check your car out
    I tend to make appearences every now and then at the Waukesha meets, I try hard to stay off of HWY with it (actually with any of our cars), just don't need the stress. Though, there can ALWAYS be exceptions to the rules.

Rick

I tend to make appearences every now and then at the Waukesha meets, I try hard to stay off of HWY with it (actually with any of our cars), just don't need the stress. Though, there can ALWAYS be exceptions to the rules.

Rick

awesome well when i get home in only 21 days... we'll have to meet up!!!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

1quickgtp
    id pick the evo, AMS is close

i second the notion for a more sporty awd car from N/I

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    i've always been a big fan of the daewoos... they really fly nomatter what you're doing with 'em...

evo/sti... i'm torn.. although for a DD, it's the evo... but i like the top gear reasoning behind my choice... no apparent reason... lol
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

In all seriousness......Id go with the Sti all day.

1-Less Common (Around here at least)

2-Better Built IMO

I have a freind in Chicago, on his 4th transmission, in his EVO.

Both are great cars though.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    both are GREAT cars honestly. I love both of them. You will have more potential for HP with the EVO though....if thats the route you want to go. Similar set-ups and you will see more output from the Evo. Its an efficient motor and makes a lot of useable power....the 4G63 is a potent animal. The STi is a very refined, comfortable car to drive daily. The suspension is top notch. Very capable still if you want to autoX it but smooth enough for the street on your daily commute. The EVOs are a tad choppy in their ride quality. The STi has a GREAT trans, though it doesn't lend itself all to well for drag racing. First gear is USELESS as the gearing is so short. Either way you can't go wrong. Both cars respond well to mods. AMS is in our backyard if you want to go EVO. With the STi you have 2 AWESOME tuning softwares available with the Cobb Accessport (with the ability to have it Protuned) and the Element Hydra. Good luck in your quest. You seriously can't go wrong with either car
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Quote Originally Posted by yellow wagon
    ..... You seriously can't go wrong with either car
    I couldn't have said it better!!!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

Quote Originally Posted by ripped2keclipse
    there is a 10+ page discussion on chitown about the same thing form the same guy did u get enough input form all of them just checkin
    yeah, no sh!T.......leave it be! or search the internet for a magizine article on the 2! dammit...
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    its always winter on bcm!

myturbo300zx
    ya i think a 300zx is better then and sti or an evo lol. j/k guys

04 EVOLUTION VIII | 93 Civic Si (RIP) | 92 Integra GS

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    thats awesome!
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    So...whats better..

LS1 or LT1?

muahahahahaha!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wii9H...0dodge%20viper

Here you go, a little entertainment while you decide.

btw I LOVE my STi! I don't regret any decision at ALL!!
    -2001 S4 stage 2 Imola

Quote Originally Posted by RedGSX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wii9H...0dodge%20viper

Here you go, a little entertainment while you decide.

btw I LOVE my STi! I don't regret any decision at ALL!!
    Now i am not saying i told you so... but i already have seen this video and others putting the EVO ahead in the handling section. But i do realize that that was the FQ version EVO and also a different version STI. but as you can see it really is hard to make a decision between the too!!!

i think the reason why he said they choose the subie over the mitsu is because of the normal everyday driving. I do notice that my EVO is a little harsher of a ride.... but i like that. it lets me "feel" the road better?!?! oh well... enough said on this topic!!!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD