Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Beeyond Engineering
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk01
    If they need help with the AMS, you might want to have them give me a call.

will do bro...
    Personal Best FWD Street-Trim: 9.66@158+mph

Syclone,

There's a guy who lives down the road from me. He transplanted 4.2L inline 6 out of a new Trailblazer into his 66 Nova. Put a big GT4788 turbo on it and a rather large front mount cooler. At 23psi he's pushing 1200hp, and the motor is pretty much bulletproof through all of his travels so far... He even drove it on the street for 1400+ miles in the Hot Rod Mag Drag Week this past Labor Day weekend.

Started in KC, and ended in Martin, MI. They had to drive to like 5 different towns in 5 days and make passes down the strip at each stop. Best average ET won. He ran an 8.62 @170+ on the last day of the event, but had traction issues at a few of the other tracks so he didn't win, but did pretty well.
    Oh yeah, and he made his passes on true DR's, not slicks, or street et's...
    I seen a couple pics of that car in hot rod like a year ago, it was acutally the 3.5L I5 out of a colorado though wasnt it??? i could be wrong, i just remember it beinga Vortec inline motor and the sheet metal intake and the turbo the size of the front wheels on it LOL
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Blackhawk01
    It might have been. But he called me about running an AMS boost controller just a month or so ago, and he said he's running a big turbo on a 4.2 out of a Trailblazer/Envoy.

Beeyond Engineering
    It might have been. But he called me about running an AMS boost controller just a month or so ago, and he said he's running a big turbo on a 4.2 out of a Trailblazer/Envoy.

see syclone.. even a 4.2L needs a BIIIGGG TURBO.... why shouldn't a 1.8L need a BIGGG TURBO??? hehe just screwing with you!!!

someone should try superchargering a 4cyl..... I know I wouldn't!!! Done a few s-chargers back in the day and only felt like a hair quicker......felt like an allmotor feel instead of real boost gutt feeling type of deal!!! someone prove me wrong and build one!!!
    Personal Best FWD Street-Trim: 9.66@158+mph

Quote Originally Posted by RATED R
    Another thing to consider is a lot of the smaller import engines are reved to 8,500+ RPM's and even if you don't reach full boost until 5,000 RPM you still have 3,500+ RPM's of powerband at full boost. Now on your V8 that redlines at 5,500 RPM's you have to have full boost by 2,000 RPM's to have the same amount of powerband under full boost. Full boost is only a downshift away and our cars regularly cruise near 4,000 RPM's anyway.
    That's a great point I never thought about, man. Makes a lot of sense!

With over 500hp I prefer a turbo that is effeicent and not having to "work" so hard. Could I accomplish the same power goals with a slighly smaller turbo and increase spool time by a few hundred RPM's, yes, but I do not like the idea of pushing my turbo to it's limits. I think the turbo will last a lot longer if it doesn't have to "work" so hard. But what do I know.
    On my daily driver the stock turbo has 172,000 miles and for the last 60,000 I have been running it at the absolute limit (the car gets slower if I run any more boost) which according to the T25 flow map I could find, is somewhere between 150,000-200,000 RPM And it still works fine. Regular Mobil1 oil changes and I don't beat on it when it's cold, so that might have helped. But the point is I try to run all my turbos to their limits and haven't had much problem... Although come to think of it -- I did the same thing on my Syclone and with 35,000 miles (only about 20,000 of high boost), the stock turbo felt like it had a lot of shaft play when I pulled it off. So I guess I'm undecided there.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

There's a guy who lives down the road from me. He transplanted 4.2L inline 6 out of a new Trailblazer into his 66 Nova. Put a big GT4788 turbo on it and a rather large front mount cooler. At 23psi he's pushing 1200hp, and the motor is pretty much bulletproof through all of his travels so far... He even drove it on the street for 1400+ miles in the Hot Rod Mag Drag Week this past Labor Day weekend.
    Wow, that's awesome! When the GM 4.2L DOHC Inline 6 came out, immediately I was thinking of the Supra motor and wondering if the results would be similar on this motor if turbocharged. I guess so! How did he get camshafts ground for that motor? Or does he still have the stock cam? I'm wondering what type of (forced induction capable) engine management could handle that motor along with it's exhaust cam phasing etc. Got a link I can read more about this interesting project?

Started in KC, and ended in Martin, MI. They had to drive to like 5 different towns in 5 days and make passes down the strip at each stop. Best average ET won. He ran an 8.62 @170+ on the last day of the event, but had traction issues at a few of the other tracks so he didn't win, but did pretty well.
    Is he on here anywhere? http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/...weeks_05_day5/
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Blackhawk01
    He runs the BigStuff3.

He's driving the 66 nova wagon in the sm block power adder class. Way ahead of anybody else. But for some reason it says they didn't make a run in MI.
    Maybe I misunderstood when I talked to him?

Looks like 8.82 was the best he ran in the competition not an 8.62. I know he said something about going 170 though, maybe it wasn't at this event. Oh well, still not bad for Mickey Drag Radials, and no boost control...

Blackhawk01
    I run a GT61 on my bike. It's extremely efficient even in the mid 30# range...

550+rwhp on a 1.3 liter with intake temps in the 65 degree range can't be wrong...