Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    tube chassis, monster big block, and a lenco... street car, and read this month's Hot Rod to have it proven hahaha

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    "daily driver" is a phrase missing from that car
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

hehe oh come on

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    streetable sure....daily driver. No way. Driving that car would be like having sex with a girl with one leg. Sure you could do it a few times but after that you just can't do it anymore.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Every thing that I have seen makes me want to agree with you Josh for the most part. Alot of the setups people are running are over kill. I know plenty of people who like to have the bigger turbos and what not for power potential in the future. Others like to brag.

The flow some of these little multi valve motors have is fairly insane, allowing the ability to go into the high HP numbers on pump gas even. Many people have have their plans set and pick a good turbo. I have seen many small motor imports making 300-500hp and getting it nice and fast. These numbers are plenty potent for 11s or 12s 1/4's.

Big motors definitly make it easier but to have good results from a small motor is definitly doable.

As an example... A Garrett GT28RS I have personally seen make 420whp on a dsm. These are not rated for more than 340 by Garrett and will spool on a 2.0L around 2.5k or less and hold strong almost to redline at 7.5k ish...

Again you throw in every other factor and Im sure there is someone out there who could screw even that up. (tune, manifold design, 467,000 mile motor that should not do anything but die.)

I would say if you want to get really exact about it, Figure out where in the rpm band you want your power, and where you are redlining. Then fiqure the flow your motor has at these two points and try to find a compressor map which has what you want.

Jake
    Top Street
    JHRacing.net

Those Who Say It Can't Be Done.... Shouldn't Fu(k With The Guy Who's Doing It!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TopStreetDsm
    As an example... A Garrett GT28RS I have personally seen make 420whp on a dsm. These are not rated for more than 340 by Garrett and will spool on a 2.0L around 2.5k or less and hold strong almost to redline at 7.5k ish...
    Wow!! Details??? What was the secret? That's awesome.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Quote Originally Posted by yellow wagon
    streetable sure....daily driver. No way. Driving that car would be like having sex with a girl with one leg. Sure you could do it a few times but after that you just can't do it anymore.
    hot girl with one leg? what's the prob? and why stop?

formerly known as Madison Dave Cleveland Dave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlinZ
    hot girl with one leg? what's the prob? and why stop?
    yeah i see no reason to stop either.

Here is the link to the ONE turbo I run on my 2.0 SR20DET.

GT25/40R Turbo

I do run 264/272 cam setup and the car pulls hard all the way to 7700.

The car does not seem laggy to me, you just have to know how to drive it.

ProjectCamaro.com ProjectCamaro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNK GSX
    oh wow... where the heck have you been. "forced induction; the replacement for displacement"
    You wish, there's nothing like the torque of a 5.7 liter V8.

Are you the guy I met at TCF Bank?
    RedLS1.com
    Because You Can Never Modify To Many Camaro's

[QUOTE=ProjectCamaro]You wish, there's nothing like the torque of a 5.7 liter V8. QUOTE]

So the 416awtq that my car puts down must be nothing huh? Oh yeah, that is on an engine with less then 1/2 the displacment, and half the cylinders then this almighty V8. Power is a money game though, so it is pointless to argue that. Maybe this spring Project Camaro can meet Project STi. I will have a little more displacment lined up, so I won't need as much of a head start.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by TopStreetDsm
    Every thing that I have seen makes me want to agree with you Josh for the most part. Alot of the setups people are running are over kill. I know plenty of people who like to have the bigger turbos and what not for power potential in the future. Others like to brag.

The flow some of these little multi valve motors have is fairly insane, allowing the ability to go into the high HP numbers on pump gas even. Many people have have their plans set and pick a good turbo. I have seen many small motor imports making 300-500hp and getting it nice and fast. These numbers are plenty potent for 11s or 12s 1/4's.

Big motors definitly make it easier but to have good results from a small motor is definitly doable.

Again you throw in every other factor and Im sure there is someone out there who could screw even that up. (tune, manifold design, 467,000 mile motor that should not do anything but die.)

I would say if you want to get really exact about it, Figure out where in the rpm band you want your power, and where you are redlining. Then fiqure the flow your motor has at these two points and try to find a compressor map which has what you want.

Jake
    Top Street
    I strogly agree with what Jake has stated. A lot of people like big turbos just to say yea i have a t88 or whatever! I turbocharged my saturn(even god doesn't know why!) and i was running a completely stock motor with a very crude fuel setup(SDS) but it worked well. saturns come stock with a 1.9L enigne. I ran a sc61 .60/.63 turbo with a stage 4 compressor wheel. A lot of people said it wasn't going to spool for crap. well it didn't in first gear BUT that was to help with traction! It also helped let my motor rev... bigger exhaust housing flows more air. i was also running a 38mm wastegate to let my motor breath after i reached full boost. Think about the hondas that rev well past 7000k rpm... you can free up HP by letting your engine breath once it reaches full boost! If i was rolling i could achieve max boost of 8 psi at about 4000 rpm. it was great for a DD because it was easy to stay out of boost and conserve gas. PICKING YOUR TURBO SIZE REALLY DEPENDS ON YOUR SETUP AND HOW IT IS GOING TO BE USED!!! all you have to do is do a little research on compressor maps and you'll find what your looking for! GOOD LUCK!!!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

Beeyond Engineering
    well forget the other 4 cyl motors. honduhs have this VTEC thingy that can really spool a big big turbo at high rpms. honduhs don't have much power down low anyhow so that is why we like to use big big turbos because the honduh Vtec make big big power on the very high high end. so we make big big power. mr. cyclone you don't need to be asking those questions.. you need to ask why honduhs and other fwd put out so much power on big turbos..no traction = bullsh1t.. and for the awd people you need to ask them that even if they have awd their 4cyl wont last for sh1t... truth is don't all the 4cyl just often blow to cr@p under big boost on big big turbosss........

how was my ebonics...hehe!!!
    Personal Best FWD Street-Trim: 9.66@158+mph

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlinZ
    aren't you still in the 13's? so i'd say that it really didn't replace my displacement
    you and i both know why my car still only made it in the 13's....but oh well next year!
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

i keep telling myself that every year, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Bee
    you need to ask why honduhs and other fwd put out so much power on big turbos..no traction = bullsh1t.. and for the awd people you need to ask them that even if they have awd their 4cyl wont last for sh1t...

What about 4 cyl RWD????

well forget the other 4 cyl motors. honduhs have this VTEC thingy that can really spool a big big turbo at high rpms. honduhs don't have much power down low anyhow so that is why we like to use big big turbos because the honduh Vtec make big big power on the very high high end. so we make big big power. mr. cyclone you don't need to be asking those questions.. you need to ask why honduhs and other fwd put out so much power on big turbos..no traction = bullsh1t.. and for the awd people you need to ask them that even if they have awd their 4cyl wont last for sh1t... truth is don't all the 4cyl just often blow to cr@p under big boost on big big turbosss........

My EVO seems to being doing just fine!!! it takes everything i throw at it! Plus my Saturn never blew up! Maybe i just have good luck(knock on wood!) J/K i do know what yea mean... a motor can only with stand sooo much abuse for such an amount of time. Same thing with v-8 stroker motors... or nitrous... they will only last for soo long but it is fun a$$ hell while it lasts!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    EvolvedRegal and Russ Jerome: I've heard the same thing repeated all the time, and in my experience it's just not true (or the effect is grossly overexaggerated.)
    "Your" setup may have exeption's but today's case in point:

My present daily driver (90 turbovan) is a bone stock
    2.5 Turbo weighing in at over 3000# with a little tiny stock Mitz
    turbo of the TEO4H family. At 15psi the stock 2.5 feels "peppy",
    swap it out with a t-3/4 with a 60 trim and a .63/stage3 and the
    van will simply roll tires all day on onramp at EXACT SAME 15PSI!

This is not seat of the pant's guesswork, I have run this exact same
    setup at GLD and traction in my street tire setups are only drawback.

Turbo's are fickel, what works with one IC setup and intake may
    not work on another. The only true test is running EXACT same
    setup down GLD with no other changes.

I dont condone BIG turbo's, stock turbos are great for there application
    but cooler air equals amazing HP (less knock) potential. Same argument
    could be had with "better flowing" or "better cooling" intercooler.

I would rather roll out of hole with street tires and pump gas to a
    low to flat 12.0/120 than smoke hides to a 13.0/115 myself, actualy
    saves parts and $ (got to drive to work in morning ya know!).
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Senior Member..now yer posting!

And no other cars have anything like VTEC right? Nissan was the first to come out with a "VTEC" type valvetrain. I have a AWD, so i guess i should be looking for a new motor right now since they don't last. What happens is there is a weak point somewhere from the engine to the ground and in any dsm or evo that happens to be the t-case, my problem has already been taken care of. Shep tranny and TRE t-case, not likely to break even with a 6k dump.

And no 4cyls wont blow under heavy boost with the proper set-up. I have run up to 31psi w/meth and no leaking or head problems, still has the stock HG also. It's how the car is prepped and tuned. Id rather have a very linear power band then a balls out do or die dyno graph which seems to be the norm on here.

90% of the people on here have never built a domestic or import motor and see how much they differ from another but yet very similar. Most people do the bolt-on path because it's what someone else has told them to get, very little time has been research. A lot of people say that AEM EMS is the way to go, I think otherwise. I have developed a new algorithim to my new speed density set-up still utilizing the stock ecu and it feels that I make a lot more power on this set-up running a lot richer (10.2) on lower boost than my standalone set-up running in the 11.5 afr area (22psi). if you want a great standalone for half the price of the AEM look into a Hydra. Or if you want to spend big bucks go motec M800 (have one for sale all unlocked)

But back on topic, Syclone0044 the turbo maps look like ass:

What kind of upgraded turbo is this? If you want to make great power at stock displacement look into a PTE 70, it's a big turbo but with a 4.3 you should have no problem spooling that if you get cammed for it. I can hook you up with an awsome person out of MI for you. Here are some things for you:
    Your stocker is a Mitsubishi TD06-17C w/8cm2 housing (very small) the regular upgrade is a Mitsubishi TD06H-20G w/14CM2 housing
    Last edited by EvolvedRegal; 11-29-2005 at 11:25 PM.
    03 Evo. 6262/2.0
    518hp/ 24psi/ 94%IDC

Wow that stock map is....well stock.
    Here is a small map for you, for a 4 popper:

http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...